Today, I had an appointment with my GP to talk about the rest of my test results.
Not surprisingly, the results back up the diagnosis of PCOS. ( I forgot to ask for a copy but I do know that my SHBG=17 and my “free testosterone”=10)
I mentioned in my last post that I was going to ask about clomid. She flat out refused as the “ risks are too high” and they could get into a lot of trouble “if something went wrong”.
I then got yet another lecture about weight loss, and instantly broke into tears. I’m sick of hearing it! I know I need to lose weight but its not that easy.
One good thing that came out of today, is that she finally agreed to put me on the waiting list for the public fertility clinic in my state. Its an 18 month wait on average, so not too excited about that.
I have finally found a moonstone! I’m so excited as I’ve been looking for months. Fingers crossed it’s the real deal.
I will write a separate post on that if anyone is interested 🙂
May 7th marked the first day of my first cycle of 2017… better late than never!
It also marked the first day of another wait. The countdown to my 21 day blood work began.
After having my HSG in Feb I was full of hope with this being my first cycle since.
However, as per usual my body had other plans. According to the results my body hadn’t even registered that I had had a period… which resulted in me breaking down in tears in front of my doctor.
To make matters worse, the only explanation she could give me was that I needed to lose weight. Now while I acknowledge I am overweight, (by 20 kilos) I was the ideal weigh for years and experienced the same thing.
Not to mention I know women bigger than me who are pregnant with their fifth babies!
I have asked my doctor about clomid before and she said GPs weren’t allowed to prescribe it and then referred me to a gyno ( who also stated she wasn’t allowed to prescribe it… go figure!)
However, after taking to a pharmacist, it seems that they can prescribe clomid at their discretion.
I have another appointment coming up next week to ask again, I will update afterwards.
P.S I apologize for the time between posts. It seems like I have no news for months and all of a sudden everything happens in a week.
I love hearing about different things women try to get pregnant. Growing up, my family was full of them! So I thought it would be fun to make a list of old wives tales about conception and see if any of them actually work!
- Drinking cough syrup. ( specifically Robitussin)- This is said to thin your CM, making it more sperm friendly.
- Drinking honey and cinnamon tea. -This is said to boost blood flow to the reproduction system.
- Yoga.- This is along the same lines as “Relax and see what happens.”
- Prayer.- Depending on your beliefs, this one might not count.
- Moonstone.- Keep one next to your bed. It is said to boost fertility.
I thought I would throw in some silly ones as well. Everything is worth a try.
- Sleep on blue sheets.
- Every time you see a pregnant friend, rub her belly for goodluck.
- Eat sweet potatoes to conceive twins.
- Don’t vacuum under your bed.
- Surround yourself with figurines and pictures of frogs and elephants.
If you have any thing to add to the list, comment below so everyone can give it a try!
I am determined to make 2017 the year I get healthy and *hopefully* pregnant!
With my 26th birthday a few days away, I feel like I’m running out of time. Early menopause runs in my family, so it’s time to get serious!
- Quit smoking ( This is the most important goals for many reasons)
- Get started on my diet and start taking the supplements I mentioned.
- Start an exercise routine. Walking around the block in the evenings or maybe yoga?
- Lose at least 10% of my weight. Studies show it could drastically improve my PCOS.
- Get good marks on my business certificate * to be completed in September*
- I am planning on getting a job either while I’m studying or after.I hope to get a job in administration but I’ll probably accept anything. Hopefully sooner rather than later!
- When I get a job I aim to save 10% of my pay to go towards baby stuff. So I guess the longer it takes for us to fall pregnant the more baby clothes I get to buy!!
- And last but not least, actually get pregnant! Seeing as my tubes are clear , I’m now on Metformin and I think I’ve found the magic mix of supplements, I would be surprised if I’m not pregnant in 12 months. *wishful thinking*
A few months ago, I wrote about how I tried the ketogenic diet for weight loss. It only lasted 2 weeks as I gained 5 kilograms during that time.
Since then, I have done some more research about the effects of ketosis on PCOS and found that it can be very beneficial on women suffering from symptoms.
I have decided to give it another go but this time I will be following the PCOS diet guidelines and I won’t be focusing on weight loss as much.
Foods to avoid:
- High GI foods: Cake, biscuits, white bread, pasta and rice etc.
- Sugary drinks: Soft drinks, fruit juices and cordial.
- Dairy: Milk, cheese, butter etc.
- Caffeine (!?)
- Fast food in general.
Foods to include:
- Vegetables: especially green leafy veggies as they are high in vitamins.*limit starchy veggies such as potatoes*
- Low GI fruits: apples,watermelon, oranges , blueberries etc.
- Healthy fats: avocado, nuts, seeds, tuna and salmon.
- Protein: organic and hormone free is best.
Supplements to consider:
- Vitamin D: known to improve insulin resistance.
- Fish oil: known to decrease testosterone levels.
- Inositol: some what of a magic pill. Known to improve hormonal balance, insulin resistance and gestational diabetes.
I have a feeling I will do a lot better on this regime as its more about sticking to the good foods list rather than trying to work out fat, carb and protein ratios.
I already posted my “Baby names i love but won’t be using”, so i thought i’d post my list of baby names i love and might use…If my husband agrees.
Emilia – This is my absolute favourite girls name! I just love the idea of having a little “Emi Jane” running around.
Mason – When my Mum suggested this name i wasn’t sure but over time it has really grown on me. It will probably be my first choice.
Victoria – This name would be in honor of my Mum.
Aden – This was one of the first boy names i fell in love with as it has the same letters as my late Grandmothers name “Edna”.
Chance – I love how unique this name is. I have only heard it twice, and it could be used for a boy or a girl.
Gordon – My late Grandfathers name. I have always loved it. I was thinking about Jordon for an alternative but my Husband doesn’t like J names.
Sophia – Love love love this name! It’s such a pretty name that is calming down a bit in popularity.
Samuel – I love this name because it is so strong and old fashioned.
Olivia – I have always thought Olivia was a beautiful name and it would work well with almost any middle name.
Oliver – I fell in love with this name from watching a family on YouTube. It’s another name that doesn’t seem to be as popular as it use to be which i love.
Since starting our TTC journey, i have been constantly thinking about baby names.
I have watched/ read so many people doing this “challenge”, so i thought why not!?
My husband and I have a hard time agreeing on names, so i will be including names he won’t let me use.
Amberlee- This is one of the first names i fell in love with after my husband and i got married, but after saying it so many times it lost it’s awesomeness.
Jack- I looove this name! However, my husband “hates J names” so we wont be using it. Plus i have two friends with sons named Jack.
Stella- I have been in love with this name since i first watched “How I met your mother” but every time i mention it i hear “STELLLAAAAA”.
Joseph- Another “J name” i’m not allowed to use. However, it’s my great-grandfathers name so i might have to fight for it!
Michaela- Too close to the name Michael and there is way to many in our families.
Landon- Loved this name until it got too famous on YouTube.
Julia- Mum & I both love the name, husband does not.
Braxton- Husband laughs his head off every time i mention it and i wouldn’t want my sons nickname to be “Hicks”
Ruby- In-laws dogs name so… no..
Brody- Great name but wouldn’t work with our last name. Too many B’s.